Isaac Morehouse is the CEO of Crash, the career launch platform, and the founder of Praxis, a startup apprenticeship program. Isaac has written 8 books about work and education, including "Don't Do Stuff You Hate" and "The Future of School: Reimagining Higher Education for the Next Generation". When he’s not with his wife and kids or building his company, he can be found smoking cigars, playing guitars, reading, writing, and watching sports teams from his home state of Michigan.
What's the worst part about looking for work? The time? The endless resume revisions? The coffee chats? No. It's loneliness and isolation. So, what if instead of searching alone, you launched a job hunt as a public event, and invited all of your friends to support you and cheer you on? Think, Product Hunt, but for People. You show the rest of the world what you've done, and let the world come to you with opportunity.
On Episode 14 of the Skill Podcast, Micah shares a conversation with Isaac Morehouse, Founder and CEO of Crash, a "reverse jobs board", where hiring managers are there to look at your profile, instead of the other way round.
Isaac and Micah discuss the myriad ideas about work and education that Isaac has packed into this simple idea, and uncover how Crash is changing the feeling of hunting for a new job, from isolating, to exhilarating.
Throughout this conversation, Isaac and Micah cover the following topics:
- Their shared experiences being homeschooled as kids
- What are the benefits of homeschooling, compared to public schools?
- How the nature of work may change how many kids are homeschooled in the future
- Are homeschooled kids, "socialized"?
- Isaac's experiences in high school and college, and how they influenced his thinking on higher education
- Why Isaac chose the private sector to pursue social change, despite spending time in the non-profit, government, and higher education worlds
- The founding story of Isaac's first company, Praxis
- Why students choose college over other, more compelling, options
- What should we call students and their experiences who don't go to college right away, if at all?
- The idea that might help fewer students choose college in the future
- Be Your Own Credential
- How you can build a signal that is more powerful than a college degree
- The founding story of Crash
- How Crash helps people find new opportunities
- The early tweaks that Crash made to its initial product that rapidly improved growth
- Crash's early results helping people find work
- The difference between "waiting for your chance" and "winning in the market"
- Isaac's nefarious super villain plot
- How Isaac harnesses serendipity with Crash
- The difference between "personal marketing" and "authenticity"
- How Crash works for hiring managers, and not just for job seekers
- Isaac's parting words of wisdom
You can connect with Isaac on Twitter @IsaacMorehouse
You can connect with Micah at micah "at" meritmark.co OR on Twitter @MicahMerrick
Thanks for listening!